St. Thomas More School Newsletter
September 26-30 2022
Building Community – One Body, Many Parts
1 Corinthians 12:12 Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ.
Dear Parents and Families,
My heart is full after the incredible turn out at our Intercultural Festival! Thank you to all who turned out in support. It was one of the most amazing events and I feel blessed to have taken part. I have included a few photos here and will include the remaining photos on a separate post on our home page. Thank you to our Francesca Abellera and her parents for all their hard work to make this event happen.
We have another event coming up that I have been anticipating since the start of the school year because of my love of animals. We look forward to seeing you on October 4 for the Blessing of the Pets. Please be sure to read the Blessing of the Pets Rules if you intend to bring your pet to the ceremony. Also, please note that the time for this event is 2pm (not 12pm, as published originally).
Paz (Peace in Spanish),
We need a name for our St. Thomas More Newsletter. Students wishing to submit a suggestion, please complete the STMS School Newsletter Name Suggestion form and return it to the office.
Parents who wish to volunteer will need to be current on their Virtus Training, Protecting God’s Children and complete the School Volunteer Agreement attesting to their vaccination status. Parents wishing to volunteer inside the school building will need to be fully vaccinated.
This year, we would like to get the assistance of each grade to have a designated Class Procurement Lead. We need a dedicated team working on procuring items and experiences for our auction. Having a designated person from each class will help us build this team and provide a cohesive way of procuring items.
To give you an idea of what this position entails, I am listing the tasks for this position below.
· Reach out to both corporate and local businesses in our community via email, phone and/or an in-person visit to procure sponsorships, advertising, products or services from both corporate and local businesses in our community.
· Collaborate with the Procurement Team on items to procure for both the silent and live auction and create bid-worthy packages and experiences for the event.
·Seek out procurement opportunities from your class. You have insight on your class’s talents and resources. For example, the Smith Family owns a restaurant/business, would they like to sign up as one of our sponsors?
· Send email communication to your class – reminders for due dates, auction procurement news, etc.
· Assist with tracking your class’s procurement obligations are met and turned in timely.
We are off to a great start with having former Procurement Leads helping us again this year; we also have a spreadsheet that lists the businesses that have donated in previous years. In addition to this, there will be tools provided; a Procurement 101 session and some incentive for our team!
Your participation in this team will fulfil your auction hours, as well as help you secure your $250 procurement requirement. We can’t wait to get together to collaborate and brainstorm on successful auction items.
Thank you for your help,
Jessica Lang | Auction Procurement Team | St. Thomas More School
Cell (425) 890-5891
Follow Along @stmsauction
St Thomas More School’s Cookie Dough fundraiser starts Wednesday, September 28 and runs through October 12, and we need your help. Our goal is to raise $15,000 for the general operating budget.
It’s as simple as 1, 2, 3!
- Register September 28 at www.ShopFund.com
- Share custom support links with family & friends via Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Email, Text and more.
- Student Goal: 5 Online Supporters.
REGISTER-SHARE-WIN: Sharing gets you tickets for chances to win from over $100,000 in instant prizes.
- Kick-Off Videos – (https://youtu.be/HvAuJzU0gI4)
- Parent Letter – (https://bit.ly/3reEH0V )
- Prize Program – (https://bit.ly/3PDuDbR )
Other important dates:
- Sept 27th – Room Parents Orientation 6:30 pm, Renggli Room
- October 6th Parent Club Meeting: Renggli Room: 8:30 am after drop-off
Francesca and Suzi
Parent Club Chairs
Dine for Dollars is Back!
We are excited to bring back dine for dollars at Ixtapa.
We will be donating 20% of our sales on the 29th. People from school just have to mention that they are coming from STMS and we will put their tickets aside and add them at the end of the day .
Please see the Ixtapa Dine for Dollars Flyer for more information.
friend, earn for STM! Happy Box Tops Week!
Your coordinator, Joana Ransford
COVID -19 Guidelines
St. Thomas More School is following the guidelines published by the Washington State Department of Health. During the month of September, STMS had 7 reported cases of COVID-19 positive test results. Please continue to monitor your children for symptoms of COVID-19 and keep them home if they are ill. If your child tests positive, the quarantine period is 5-10 days. If after 5 days, your child is symptom free he/she may return to school (wearing a mask) as long as you provide proof of a negative test result. Siblings of a child who test positive, or if a child is exposed to someone else in the home who tests positive, may return to school as long as there are no COVID-19 symptoms with proof of a negative and remain masked.
Dates to Remember
10/3: School Pictures
10/7 CYO Spirit Day (for current CYO participants in fall sports; please wear uniform bottoms)
10/14: No School – Teacher Professional Development
10/20: Conferences, Noon dismissal
10/21: Conferences- No School
School Mass Schedule
The All-School Masses (through October):
|Tuesday, Oct 4||Blessing of the Pets*||12:00||Student Council|
|Wednesday, Oct 12||Mass of the Holy Spirit||9:00||Fourth Grade|
|Monday, Oct 31||Pumpkin Fest||1:00||Music|
Also, this year each grade level will lead the 3rd Sunday Mass, which coincides with Coffee & Donuts (with the exceptions of December, April, and June). October 16 will be led by the 8th graders. All participants and attendees in school uniform will get a free dress pass. Please see the attached sign up sheets in the email for this week’s newsletter.
Pet Food and Toy Drive
Pet Food and Toy Drive
September 26th – October 4th
Our Pet Food and Toy Drive for Pasado’s Safe Haven starts on Monday and ends with the Blessing of the Pets on October 4th. Help us care for all of God’s creation by bringing in food, toys, blankets, etc. A list of suggested donations can also be found at pasadosafehaven.org/ways-to-give/wish-list.
The Pastoral Council is a consultative body to the Pastor which serves the people of God through visionary leadership and direction.
The purpose of the Pastoral Council is:
- To create, inspire, and demonstrate leadership and enthusiasm for all matters relating to the spiritual and temporal affairs of St. Thomas More Parish
- To provide recommendations for Parish priorities, directions, and policies through pastoral planning.
- To Promote communication, visibility, and understanding among the Parish Commissions, Committees, Community, Archdiocese, and universal Church.
- Informing community, Council members are challenged to ongoing renewal through prayer, study, listening, and dialogue.
- In developing priorities and directions for the Parish, the Council is to become the means to achieving full participation by the Parish in its mission by giving its voice in guiding and directing Parish life.
- In fostering communication, the Council encourages and initiates dialogue among parish leadership and organizations and brings the concerns to the larger Church.
We invite you to become a part of our Pastoral Council. Our regular schedule is 4th Thursday September- June. However, the September meeting will be on 9/29 jointly with Finance Council.
For more information, please contact Nick Golla, (818) 903-9140 email@example.com
Please do not arrive for dismissal before 2:45. We are creating a line on the street, which impacts our neighbors. We appreciate your cooperation with this. Parents of K- Grade 3 students (who do not have an older sibling) should park in timed parking.
Monday Morning Prayer Service
On Mondays we go directly into Dalton Hall for a prayer service, with announcements following. Parents are welcome to join us – we ask that you gather at the back of the hall.
Thank you to everyone who purchased Scrip, signed up on the Raise Right App, or signed up to volunteer at last week’s Curriculum night! The winner of the $25 Gift Card was Mrs. Joana Ransford! Congratulations!
If you are NEW to Raise Right please stop by any of our in-person sales for help or tips! Let us help Scrip work for you! In person sales are on Wednesdays at Drop off and Pick Up and Every other Sunday or School Coffee & Donuts pending Volunteers.
Looking for hours, a way to meet new people, or something to do Friday Mornings? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and join our Scrip team! We NEED Friday Morning, Saturday after Mass, and Sunday drop in Volunteers! Thank you! For more information on the Scrip Program, please see the Scrip Flyer.
-Your STMS Scrip Team
We are continuing to revise and improve the website. You can now access the calendar under the Parents tab for to see upcoming events. There is also updated Auction information. We will continue to keep you informed of updates and improvements throughout the year.