St. Thomas More School Newsletter
December 12-16, 2022
Our Lady of Guadalupe Mass
On Monday, December 12 we celebrated the Our Lady of Guadalupe Mass with St. Thomas More Parishioners.
Virtual Christmas Card Contest – Deadline December 9
Thank you to all the students who submitted entries for our virtual Christmas Card Contest. Ashlyn Azel submitted the winning drawing and will receive a free dress pass.
4th Grade Play
The 4th grade class, directed by Mrs. (and Mr.) Martin did an amazing job in their interpretation of Elf. Congratulations! Thanks for making our first play a success.
Our top priority is always the safety of staff, students, and visitors when making decisions. We recognize that canceled school days disrupt family schedules.
We make every effort to make decisions regarding closings or delays in the evening, understanding that parents need time to make arrangements. However, if the forecast is uncertain and still developing, we wait to get the latest forecast and assess actual road conditions early in the morning. Additionally, if a delayed opening has been announced the night before, and the forecast or conditions worsen overnight, we may need to update the status in the morning and announce that all schools will be closed for the day.
Depending on the winter weather conditions, one of the following options is decided:
- Schools start on time (no messages will be shared)
- Schools start two hours late (no a.m. preschool)
- Schools are closed (When schools are closed, all after school activities and evening facility use are also canceled.)
If schools are delayed or closed, information will be shared through the following communication channels:
- Email : An email will go out to all families. Please make sure your contact information is up to date to ensure you receive these notifications.
- STMS website: A message will be posted to the home page of the STMS website.
- Social media: Messages will be posted to the district Facebook and Instagram pages.
We will not send or post messages if schedules are normal. No news means that schools are open.
Parking Lot: When the parking lot is icy, the snake line may be moved closer to the doors. Please follow the cones when you come into the parking lot.
If you have questions, please contact the school office at 425-743-4242.
School Commission – Committee Members Needed
The School Commission is looking for parents interested in joining the committees designated to work on school priorities. If you are interested in joining any of the committees, please email Vickie Jarman, “Vickie Jarman” email@example.com or Maria Houser, “Maria Houser” firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Safety/ Facilities & Maintenance: Review facilities for safety concerns; help make recommendations on needed services and materials.
- Technology: Review tech needs and make recommendations.
- Fundraising: Review fundraising efforts for viability and make recommendations for future fundraising activities.
- Grants: Research grants that meet needs of school. Write grant proposals.
- Strategic Planning: Assist with long-range school planning based on accreditation goals.
Other Local Events
On Saturday, December 17, 2022 Archbishop Murphy will host a Holiday Hoedown. Please see the Holiday Hoedown Flyer for details.
Our specialists work hard to provide a variety of interesting and engaging activities for all of our students. We would like to share some of the highlights of their work, as well as a little bit more about each of them.
Maria G. Casey is our Art teacher and has been working with children and adults for 22 years in both the US and Mexico. Ms. Casey incorporates a true appreciation for art into her lessons, by teaching students about a variety of techniques that different artists use. Her teaching takes into account a variety of skills in art and her lessons are engaging, as well as informative. In addition to teaching, Ms. Casey has her own business, called the The Fat Brush, working with children and adults of all ages, and includes working with people with special needs. We appreciate the authentic way that Ms. Casey brings art to our students.
Hot Lunch Returns
Tara Meucci is excited to be back on Friday’s to help with hot lunch. Orders and payments are due on Thursdays (day before). No Refunds or change will be given. We will be offering Costco pizza and hot dogs to start.
All pizza lunches will include choice of drink (water, soda, juice) and a treat.
Hot dog lunches will include choice of drink (water, soda, juice) bag of chips and treat.
Cost is $5 per lunch extra slice or hot dog is additional $1. Please see the link below for the order form.
If you volunteer to help with our Hot Lunch fundraisers, please use the Sign Up Genius below:
Hot Lunch Schedule through March
|Jan 6 Pizza|
|Jan 13 NO HOT LUNCH||Jan 20 Hamburger||Jan 27 Pizza|
|Feb 3 Hot Dogs||Feb 10 NO SCHOOL||Feb 17 Pizza|
|Feb 24 Grilled Cheese||Mar 3 Pizza||Mar 10 Pizza|
|Mar 17 Grilled Cheese||Mar 24 Pizza||Mar 31 Pizza|
STMP Christmas EVE Nativity Presentation
Our parish annual 🌟Children’s Christmas Eve LIVE Nativity Presentation is Sat., Dec 24th at the 5 PM Mass.🌟 See the flyer attached for details. I need children volunteers to be barn animals, Roman soldiers, angels, shepherds etc… There will be no speaking parts and rehearsals will be scheduled. To sign up for your children, please click HERE. It’s first come first serve, so don’t delay!
See the Christmas Eve Nativity Presentation Flyer for more information.
Early Dismissal for Appointments
Please remember to email your child’s teacher and copy the office staff if you are taking your student out of school for an appointment. We appreciate your cooperation on this.
Free Dress Days Reminder
Please remember on Free Dress Days that students may wear more casual clothing as long as they are dressed within school dress code guidelines. Along those lines, please keep in mind that student dress should be modest – no bare mid-diffs or spaghetti straps, clothes must fit properly. No leggings (unless under a skirt) in grades 5 and up.
Anyone looking for volunteer hours? We can always use your help in patrol!! You will receive 1 hour for every AM or PM day. Please contact me (Robert Trias) for which days you are available and either mornings (AM) or afternoons (PM) or both. You contact myself @ (206)353-2000 or TRIAS0175@yahoo.com , I will also be doing patrol every Monday (PM), so you can talk to me at school.
Catholic Community Services Toy Drive
Now – Dec. 16th
Help make Christmas merrier for someone this year! Donate to our Toy and Gift Drive for Catholic Community Services now through December 16th. Remember the youngest babies in need up to the older teenagers who would love to receive something special Christmas morning. Also, don’t forget the batteries!
Have your child bring an unwrapped toy or gift to the collection box in their classroom today.
P.S. use Script cards to make your purchases and help the school too!
Extended Care on Half Days
Extended Care will be offered until 3pm on the half day Mondays that we have PD for teachers. The dates are as follows: January 23, February 27 and March 27. We will not have a half day Monday during the month of April. On May 22, we will not have school since there will be a full day PD.
On the half days prior to a holiday, we will not offer Extended Care. The effected days are Friday, December 16; Friday, February 17, Friday, April 7 and Friday, May 26.
New Extended Care Supervisor
We are pleased to welcome Emily Eastwood as our Extended Care Supervisor on Thursday and Friday afternoons.
We are still looking for an Extended Care Supervisor for the morning shift, Monday-Friday, 7:00-8:15. If you or someone you know is interested, please call the school office. Any parent who wishes to take on the role can receive free Extended Care services for morning and afternoon.
Parents who wish to volunteer will need to be current on their Virtus Training, Protecting God’s Children and complete the School Volunteer Agreement attesting to their vaccination status. Parents wishing to volunteer inside the school building will need to be fully vaccinated.
Here are some upcoming training dates that are nearby (register on Virtus):
12/14 Our Lady of Fatima School, Seattle
1/10 St. John Mary Vianney Catholic Church, Kirkland (Zoom)
Parent Pick Up
Please do not arrive before 2:45. We continue to have an abundance of cars lined up on the street, which impedes traffic flow, is dangerous, and upsets our neighbors. Parents, please remember if you are parked in the gravel parking lot, you need to exit via the left lane of the “snake” line out the proper exit. If you are in the timed parking lot, you will need to wait until students are cleared from the lot before you exit.
Black Friday Shopping/Holiday Sales
As we head into Thanksgiving weekend and the shopping frenzy, please consider taking advantage of the Black Friday and Holiday Sales to fulfill your $250.00 auction procurement commitment.
You can also check out our Amazon wish list if you are looking for ideas: https://www.amazon.com/registries/custom/16MZ1EB1D7KLS/guest-view
|Amazon Custom Gift Listwww.amazon.com|
1st Procurement Deadline – Friday, December 9
Our 1st procurement drop-off deadline is on Friday, December 9, 2022. We will have a pop-up tent in the parking lot at morning drop off, you may also bring in items to the school office during school hours.
*For those who have already turned in their procured items and for those who turn their items in on or before Friday, December 9th you will receive the following:
· Free Dress Pass
· Entry into drawing for $50 Top Golf certificate (There will be three winners)
*Must turn in items valuing $250.00 or more to earn a free dress pass and entry into drawing.
Thank you for your help,
Jessica Lang | Auction Procurement Team | St. Thomas More School
Cell (425) 890-5891
Follow Along @stmsauction
Our holiday break is fast approaching! Thank you to all the coordinators and volunteers who helped make Pixie gift shop, Lady of Guadalupe Mass, and our Fall Fundraisers Cookie Dough and Poinsettia and Wreath a success. Thanks to all who have volunteered in some capacity to support the school this fall. Also, a big thank you to all the room parents for all that you do. You are greatly appreciated!
We wish you all a great Christmas and Happy New Year!
The theme of the book fair this year is space. There will be stations set up in the Renggli room.
There will be a designated day that kids can dress in a space-themed outfit (astronaut, alien, pilot, etc.)
- Ms. Waters needs a chair/lead to assist her with the book fair. The role is to assist in the execution of the pre-planned items. (Would like to meet the first week of January)
- We will also require 2 cashiers per classroom during shopping time.
- After-school support with volunteers is requested.
- Ms. Waters will be sending out a signup genius.
- Jan 26th, Thursday-Set up day.
- Jan 27th, Friday- Preview Day
- Jan 30th -Feb 2nd Monday through Thursday classes shop during their library time.
- Also, before and after school until 3:30 for families.
- Jan 28th, Saturday- Family Night 6:00-8:00
- Jan 29th, Sunday 9:30-1:30 Families may shop together
- Storybook night for 3rd and 4th graders is happening on February 1st from 6:00-8:00. (This is the first chance for 3rd graders to have an audience to listen to their storybook. 3rd graders are only present in their classrooms.)
- Book Fair and Catholic Schools week coincide. Activities for Catholic School’s week is TBD by Ms. Glaze and Team)
Please continue consider our two ongoing fundraisers:
Parent Club Meeting: The next Parent Club Meeting will be on Thursday, January 5 at 8:30 on Zoom. Here is the link: Parent Club Zoom.
Dates to Remember
12/15 Christmas Concert, 6:30
12/16 Noon Dismissal
12/19-1/2 Christmas Break (School Resumes Tuesday, 1/3)
3rd Grade Basketball and 4th thru 8th Grade Volleyball Registration is open. Register at:
3rd Grade Boys 3 on 3 Basketball : Coach: Jerome Angeles
Registration deadline: 1/27/2023
League Games 2/24, 2/26, 3/15, 3/12, 3/19, 3/26, 3/31, 4/2
3rd Grade Girls 3 on 3 Basketball : Coach: TBD
Registration deadline: 3/10/2023
League Games 4/21, 4/23, 4/28, 4/30, 5/7, 5/14, 5/21, 6/2, 6/4
Coaches: 4th Grade – TBD; 5th/6th Girls or Boys – Ms. Gregorio; 7th/8th Grade Girls – Mr. Schmid; 7/8th Grade Boys – Alivia Meucci
Registration Deadline 1/20/2023
4th Grade League Games (co-ed) 2/26, 3/5, 3/12, 3/19, 3/26, 4/2
5th – 8th Grade League Games (not co-ed) 3/4, 3/5, 3/11, 3/12, 3/18, 3/19, 3/25, 3/26, 4/1, 4/2
6th thru 8th Grade tournament 4/19 – 4/30
CYO Basketball Game Schedule 12/10 and 12/11:
- 12/10 – 9:00 AM 4th Grade Girls (Holy Rosary) vs. Evergreen at Evergreen (15201 Meridian Ave N, Shoreline, WA 98133)
- 12/10 – 9:00 AM 4th Grade Boys (STMS) vs. Our Lady of Hope at Our Lady of Hope (2501 Hoyt Ave, Everett, WA 98201)
- 12/10 – 10:15 AM 5th Grade Girls (St. Pius) vs. St. Mary Magdalen at Our Lady of Hope (2501 Hoyt Ave, Everett, WA 98201)
- 12/11– 1:15 PM 6th Grade Boys (STMS) vs. St. Al/John at Holy Rosary (630 7th Ave N, Edmonds, WA 98020)
- 12/11 – 5:00 PM 8th Grade Girls (Holy Rosary) vs. ASB at Holy Rosary (630 7th Ave N Edmonds)
- 12/11 – 7:30 PM 8th Grade Boys (STMS) vs St. Al/John at St. John (121 N 80th St, Seattle, WA 98117)
Thank you for all your support!
Guidelines for COVID, Flu and RSV
Please continue to keep your child at home if they are ill. We will continue to follow the advice and recommendations of the Snohomish Health District as we navigate the cold and flu season. If students have active symptoms from any respiratory infections and/or have a fever, they should not come to school.
Please see the letter published from the Snohomish Health District from November 18, 2022.
St. Thomas More School is following the COVID guidelines published by the Washington State Department of Health and the Snohomish Health District. As of the end of October, STMS had 7 reported cases of COVID-19 positive test results to date.
The Snohomish Health District has recently revised their guidelines. The link to the guidelines can be found below:
If your child exhibits COVID-19 symptoms at school, they will be asked to wear a mask, and we will call home. We have COVID-19 testing available and may require proof of a negative test prior to their return to school. The options for testing are:
- Testing is conducted at home by the parent, and a copy of the negative test is sent to the school.
- Testing is conducted by the parent at STMS with our testing supplies.
- Testing is conducted by one of the office staff at STMS.
If your child tests positive, the quarantine period is 5-10 days. If after 5 days, your child is symptom free he/she may return to school (wearing a mask) as long as you provide proof of a negative test result. Negative tests should be emailed to the STMS office staff. Siblings of a child who test positive, or if a child is exposed to someone else in the home who tests positive, may return to school as long as there are no COVID-19 symptoms with proof of a negative and remain masked.
School Mass & Assembly Schedule
The All-School Masses & Assemblies for December:
This year each grade level will lead the 3rd Sunday Mass (or Saturday vigil Mass), which coincides with Coffee & Donuts (with the exceptions of December, April, and June). Please see the table below for Mass times and participating grade level . All participants and attendees in school uniform will get a free dress pass. Please note we have made revisions to the scheduled Masses.
|Jan 21, 5pm *||7th and 2nd Grades|
|Feb 26, 10:30 **||6th Grade and Kindergarten|
|Mar 19, 8:30||3rd Grade|
|May 21, 10:30||5th and 1st Grades|
*The January date has been changed from 1/14 to /21 to not conflict with Martin Luther King, Jr. weekend.
**The February date has been changed from 2/19 to 2/26 to not conflict with President’s Day weekend.
Below is the link to the Fall Quarter 2022 Newsletter for Catholic Schools published by the Washington State Catholic Conference.
Coffee & Donuts
Please see the links below to sign up. We need more people to sign up for the 8:30 Mass.
The Pastoral Council is a consultative body to the Pastor which serves the people of God through visionary leadership and direction.
The purpose of the Pastoral Council is:
- To create, inspire, and demonstrate leadership and enthusiasm for all matters relating to the spiritual and temporal affairs of St. Thomas More Parish
- To provide recommendations for Parish priorities, directions, and policies through pastoral planning.
- To Promote communication, visibility, and understanding among the Parish Commissions, Committees, Community, Archdiocese, and universal Church.
- Informing community, Council members are challenged to ongoing renewal through prayer, study, listening, and dialogue.
- In developing priorities and directions for the Parish, the Council is to become the means to achieving full participation by the Parish in its mission by giving its voice in guiding and directing Parish life.
- In fostering communication, the Council encourages and initiates dialogue among parish leadership and organizations and brings the concerns to the larger Church.
We invite you to become a part of our Pastoral Council. Our regular schedule is 4th Thursday September- June. For more information, please contact Nick Golla, (818) 903-9140 email@example.com
Shop for the Holidays with Scrip!
Take care of ALL your Holiday needs using Scrip Gift Cards and WIN a Hot Cocoa & Cookie Party for your class!
SEVENTH GRADE IS IN THE LEAD! One more week to be the class with the MOST gift cards & e-gift cards purchased from 11/16-12/16!!
DID YOU KNOW!?.. if you want cards that we don’t carry in our inventory (ie- Disney/Nike/Dick’s Sports/etc). OR a greater quantity of cards that we may not have enough of OR different denominations, you can fill out a SPECIAL ORDER FORM to pay with cash or check OR buy on the RAISERIGHT APP and it will come with our next order. I’ve been waiting till Sunday night to place orders and they’ve been coming in on Tuesday in time for Wednesday pick up.
IN PERSON SALES:
- Wed 12/7 8-8:30a (PC club MTG at 8:30am) & 2:45-3:15p
- Sun 12/11 9:30-10:30a in Dalton Hall
- Wed 12/14 8-9a & 2:45-3:15p
- Our last in person sale or pick up before Christmas will be Sun Dec 18th 9:30-10:30a in Dalton Hall.
* Special Order Form can be found with our sellers, in the office, or at STMS.org/fundraising/scrip or below:
* Permission form for your student to bring home orders also on the STMS Scrip site and can be dropped off in the office.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for questions!
-Always Welcoming New Volunteers!-
Tiffany Butts- Scrip Coordinator (Volunteer)
-Always Welcoming New Volunteers!-
We are continuing to revise and improve the website. You can now access the calendar under the Parents tab for to see upcoming events. There is also updated Auction information. We will continue to keep you informed of updates and improvements throughout the year.